Skip to content

Page 22 – Sketch of Isaac’s Life


Isaac Spencer London Jr.

was born on Thursday, August 5, 1926, at 4 :40 a. m. in the London home at corner of Everett and Lawrence streets. He weighed eight pounds, three ounces at birth. Dr. A. C. Everett was the physician, and Miss Estelle Torrence, of Charlotte, the trained nurse.

This notation was made by his mother in his “Baby Book”:

“Your Name
Isaac Spencer London Jr.
As you know you were named for your dear daddy—
and I think it a fine name. You are the SEVENTH
Isaac Spencer in your daddy’s family.
Live up to it, my dear boy.”—L. E. L.
(He did).

He attended Rockingham grammar school, and as a young lad was duly confirmed as a member of the Episcopal Church, as were his parents. He was active in Boy Scouts, and industrious and friendly. His ambition was to be an athlete—and he was. For years he took daily and nightly exercises, perfecting himself physically. And in 1941 he went out for the Rocking-ham high school, football team. He was a dependable heads-up tail-back, weighed 180 and height five feet, eleven inches—a powerful physique; and he could hit the line, or skirt an end with equal ease. He also was a star in baseball, catcher for the school team; and was cap-tain of the school baseball team his last year. Graduated ’45.
He stood the Aviation exam at high school Feb. 19, 1944; then the physical exam at Mor-ris Field, Charlotte, Feb. 27, 1944. He was duly sworn in at Charlotte March 8, 1944, with Serial No. 14,148,741 — in the Air Corps Enlisted Reserves. On Jan. 15, 1945, he received notice from Atlanta to report to Ft. Bragg Feb. 9, 1945. He and Fred Eatterson (one day older than Isaac) went to Bragg Feb. 9th together, and remained together. On Feb. 16th he was shipped to Keesler Field, Miss-issippi. arriving there ’2 a. m. Feb. 18th. And then for four
weeks and months his active military training developed. At Keesler he qualified as an ex-pert marksman.
On June 24th, 1945, he reach-ed Rockingham on a delayed-enroute transfer to the air sta-tion at Harvard, Nebraska, for’ further training. For several days before leaving Keesler, he had a severe hurting in his side, and fever. By the morning of June 27th he had more fever and pain, so at 10 a. m. I carri-ed him to Camp Mackall, miles northeast of Rockingham to Capt. Reiff. He continued to grow worse, and it was soon evident he had euremia, and on July 6th he was transferred to the hospital at Ft. Bragg, 60

Go to page 23