Skip to content

Page 07- Isaac Spencer London Jr. Died (cont.)

This continued after he got home, and by the morning of June 27th, he had much pain and fever. I at 10 a. na that morning carried him to the hos­pital at Camp Mackall to Capt. Reiff. He continued to grow worse and it was quickly evi­dent that he had euremia—a poisoning from his kidneys. On July 6th he was transferred to the Regional hospital at Ft. Bragg, 40 miles distant with his NPN registering in the ‘eigh­ties. The physicians tried to unstop the stone evidently blocking the ureter but could not; and so on July 16th Major Howard Mays operated on the left kidney and removed the stones. Barely six weeks later, he again operated, this time on the right kidney, which proved to be very small, or an infantile kidney, and removed stones.

Issac Spencer London Jr.

Front Yard at Home Easter of 1943.

After these two operations he mended nicely, and was able to leave the hospital Oct. 27th, with his discharge.
He came home for a few days, then registered and entered the University at Chapel Hill on Nov. 1st, (1945), as a freshman.
He remained at the Univer­sity until the end of the term June 5th, (1946), and came home. For much of that sum­mer, he spent visiting around, and at the beach. On Aug. 20th he went to Blacksburg to visit Crawley Cash. But he felt feverish down there, and his side hurt him, so much so that he came home Aug. 27th. On Aug. 28th, at 6:30 a. m., I found he had temperature of 104. I at once called Walter King and he carried him to the Veterans hospital at Fayetteville. This vv as Aug. 28th, 1.546.
On Aug. 29th Dr. Emery Huth, noted Urologist at the VA, phoned me that it was imperative he operate, at once. He did so the afternoon of Aug. 29th, and it was quite a serious operation. Dr. Huth and Dr. Rachlin found that his left kid­ney was not only much enlarg­ed, but badly abscessed ; the surgeons debated during the operation as to removing that affected kidney, but simply could not, because the right kidney was too small to sustain the body alone. So they remov­ed the new stones in left kid­ney and sewed him up—and as. Dr. Huth told Betty and me right after the operation, “we have done all that surgery can do—the rest is in the hands of God.”
For a week he appeared to be getting better, and was, but just one week after the operation, on Thursday night, Sept. 5th, the abscesses in his kidney per­haps sloughed into a vein, for a terrific hemorrhage develop­ed and for two hours the boy was at the point of death. I was phoned, and Billy Everett and I got there by midnight;

Go to page 08